Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Laborless Sweet Corn Soup



I spent the end of summer in Vermont at my parents house in Stowe. And it was lovely. I finished the book I had been reading for the last month, I read the Sunday New York Times in actual paper form and drank coffee from a good mug and remembered how much I like textures and realized how much they have been missing in my computer-life. (My next thing is forming the "Texture Revolution," it's going to be huge...) I took a 30 mile bike ride on dirt roads and mountains and grass and it took me over 5 hours. While wondering where I was and where the trail had gone I looked ahead and saw this hanging frame. And I stopped and considered it and ate my apple. And it was a very good apple. That and it was my only piece of food. I ate it slowly.


But back to soup. I made a whole thing of this week's soup. My parents had friends in town, friends I have known my whole life, and on Sunday morning we met at the Farmer's Market to get supplies. The soup was a group effort. It should be noted that Judy Edling, no stranger to the kitchen, helped a lot, all the while giving me helpful advice on future dinner parties and recipes. Thank you, Judy.


The Farmer's Market, Stowe, VT

This soup is especially good right now when sweet corn is wonderful. I added about half 2% milk and half chicken stock but this can played around with if you want a less creamy soup. I don't see why you couldn't also just make it in a broth if you don't want to include the milk- vegan friends. Do I even have any vegan friends?
Either way, enjoy!


  • Simmer 4 cups of milk, 6 corn cob halves (not kernels), 2 sprigs of rosemary and thyme in soup pot
  • Melt 1/4 stick butter in large saucepan over medium heat
  • Add 1 chopped large onion, sprinkle with salt and saute until translucent
  • Add 3 chopped zucchini, 2 big carrots chopped, 2 stalks of celery chopped
  • When that is mostly done, add the corn kernels from the cobs

  • Remove the cobs and herb sprigs from the soup pot
  • Add the sauteing veggies
  • Add 4 cups of chicken broth (or whatever you think is enough)
  • Allow to simmer for 20 minutes to blend flavors
  • Puree the soup in a blender (we did this for half the soup and then mixed it in with the other half so it's still got bite. Also, helpful tip from Judy let the soup cool before putting it in the blender.)
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
Goo outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment