Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Turnip Soup



Email chain:
Alayna: remember how i facebook stalk people before 8am? i am creeper.
ML: hahah. it's kewl. i have a bag of spinach and bread and my soup jar right next to me.
Alayna: i have parsnips and radishes and an onion
ML: we are bunnies
Alayna: we could make a costume

If I gmail search "soup" I get "hundreds" of past emails and gchats. As does Alayna. I decided to search back to see what my first "soup" email was. An archival tour, friends.

...Well, that took me 20 minutes. I have 754 emails with the keyword "soup." And my first was in Thailand when Caitlyn was talking about how much soup she has to eat with a chicken blood base. My first "soup" conversation with Alayna had to do with her just eating veggie soup because she was sick but had a job interview. We've come a long way.

Either way, we have moved our attention to turnips. Turnips are high in dietary fiber and low in cholesterol and saturated fats. Plus they have protein and a lot vitamins. I did a little google search while the soup simmered. I always fight not to peal turnips. My rule of thumb is that peels are good for you. Does anyone know if this is ridiculous? I have no idea.
Either way, good soup. If you decide not to add spinach then it would be a white soup, which Alayna and I thought would be very exciting.

Spoons up.



Turnip Soup!


  • melt about 1/4 stick of butter in your soup pan
  • add 3-4 chopped yellow onions, and cook until soft
  • add about 5-6 chopped red potatoes and 9 chopped small turnips and stir into the pot, stirring to coat with butter, adding ground nutmeg, chili powder and ground red chili to taste
  • cover with broth, bring to a boil and simmer until veggies are soft (about twenty minutes)
  • add a few handfuls of spinach
  • blend and serve! (even better with shredded cheese on top!)

No comments:

Post a Comment